7 Vital Bible Verses Couples Need to Master for a Great Relationship
Love is always a good idea and although it’s easy for couples to get in a rut, we need to keep coming back to key Bible verses to keep love fresh in our hearts and minds.
** This post contains affiliate links.
Bible Verses for Couples:
1. “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” (1 Peter 4:8) What does it mean to love each other deeply? That is a tough question that most of us will be wrestling with for the rest of our lives, but if we focus on God and pray that he will show us how to love each other deeply, I know He will show us the way. It says “above all” so that means before other things, focus on loving other people well.
Explore various Bible translations
2. “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” (Ecclesiastes 4:12) This is a common verse read at weddings but it is vital to keep at the forefront of every marriage. Keep Christ at the center of your marriage. Use God’s power and strength to your advantage. He will help you have a strong bond in your marriage.
3. “Be completely humble and gentle; Be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.” (Ephesians 4:2-3) Here’s another verse that can take a lifetime to master. The important thing is to ask God to help you be humble, gentle, patient and loving. They say we get what we focus on. Focusing on these qualities is always a good thing and can lead to much unity and peace in a marriage.
Dive deeper into what these verses mean using a Bible Concordance
4. “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” (Romans 12:2) It’s easy to copy the behavior of the people you rub shoulders with each day, but it’s most important to allow God to transform you by reading the Bible, studying it, and meeting with other Christians who are doing the same. Stay connected to God and copy what He says and then you will be closer to living in His will for you and your family.
5. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” (Philippians 4:6) Prayer! Pray about everything! This is so easy to say but hard to do. Every day as you feel stress come up, let it be a reminder to you to pray about every little thing. Thank God for what He has done already and bring your current struggles to Him to handle for you.
Fireproof your marriage by reading great books designed to strengthen your marriage.
6. “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud” (1 Corinthians 13:4) Here is the famous “love chapter” that we hear at many weddings. This would be a great chapter to memorize and focus on each day. Love well and be rewarded with great relationships and a peaceful life. Use these verses as guides for how you should treat your spouse, children and all the rest of the people in your life.
7. “Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.” (Ephesians 4:32) Forgiveness is an important part of life. People will do things that irritate you or make you downright angry every day. What you do with that anger and irritation will guide how your life goes. When we understand how much Christ has forgiven us, we can in turn forgive others when they wrong us. It’s not an easy process, but an important one to master.
When that irritation comes up or you get “bumped into” today, watch and see if you can return that with a forgiving heart because of how you have been forgiven. If this is a struggle, then take it to God and ask Him to help you work through this important process.
Learn how to really study the bible with the best resources
Let these verses encourage you and help you know where to focus your efforts. Focus on God and work with Him on the areas that need improvement and you will never regret the fruit that will come from this time spent with Him.
For more great Bible verses, BibleGateway.com is a favorite resource of mine.
Check out my post for low-key and simple Valentine’s Day ideas for couples, at Low-Key Valentine’s Day Ideas for a Perfect and Thoughtful Day.
Parenting can be tough, so I collected 12 verses for parents that want to raise amazing children.