20 Best Essential Oils for Stress You’ll Ever Need
Everyone seems to be stressed out these days, so many people are looking for the best essential oils for stress. I’m a busy mom of 4 so I know all about stress and have learned a few things about how essential oils work.
In case you aren’t sure what essential oils are, let’s touch on that first. Essential oils come from plants, trees, shrubs, and more. The oils flow throughout the plant and deliver nutrients and keep the plant alive. Just like blood runs through our bodies, essential oils run through growing things.
This oil is then steam distilled and drawn out of the plants and trees and collected. The company where I get my oils from uses stainless steel vats and a low-temperature low-pressure steam distillation.
As a warning, you don’t want to buy essential oils from just anywhere because there is a lot of junk out there. Companies are not required by law to fill the whole bottle with pure oil, so of course, they don’t. Make sure you read and know about how to get pure essential oils.
Although I can’t share certain ailments and instructions on which oils to use for those ailments, I can say that in some cases essential oils can be life-changing. Basically, your body knows what to do with essential oils when you smell, apply and ingest essential oils.
Essential oils can be found in your bloodstream in 26 seconds when inhaled.
Why Do Essential Oils Work So Well?
- Your sense of smell is close to the limbic system in your brain which affects emotions. Stress is often linked to emotions, so when you calm emotions, you can affect how your body handles stress.
- Essential oils have very small molecules. Every drop of oil contains enough molecules to cover every cell of your body many times over. They can get into your cells and bloodstream helping your body to be calmer and more relaxed.
- God created you AND essential oils and your body knows what to with them.
Easiest Ways to Use Essential Oils:
- Inhale from your hands: Rub 1-2 drops of essential oils into your hands and cup them over your nose and mouth and take a long deep breath.
- Rub on your skin: Rub 1-2 drops of oil anywhere you like – chest, feet, hands wrists,temples, and more. You don’t have to apply to all these places at once to relax. Just choose one each day and then go with your favorite place that works best for you.
- Apply to an object: Put a few drops on a handkerchief, on a scarf, a cotton ball and inhale as needed. You’ll get instant calming support without anyone else smelling your scent. You can also use essential oil diffuser bracelets or necklaces so you can have the scent with you all day. Applying directly to your skin lasts longer and has better health benefits, but this works too.
- Add to your shower: Plug or cover your drain and add a few drops of essential oil to the water. Then immerse yourself in an essential oil steam by enjoying the scent while your shower runs.
- Use a diffuser: Get a good cool mist diffuser and add essential oils to the water in the well. Then get long-lasting benefit for everyone in the room. This is a great way to help lots of people enjoy essential oils at the same time.
- Get a massage with oils: Have your massage therapist or spouse add essential oils to some organic coconut oil and massage using this blend. You will enjoy the relaxing benefits of the oils AND the massage.
According to the Mayo Clinic, “Aromatherapy is thought to work by stimulating smell receptors in the nose, which then send messages through the nervous system to the limbic system — the part of the brain that controls emotions.”
The National Library of Medicine states, “Functional imaging studies in humans support the influence of odors on the limbic system and its emotional pathways.” They also state that “The effects of aromatherapy are theorized to result from the binding of chemical components in the essential oil to receptors in the olfactory bulb, impacting the brain’s emotional center, the limbic system. Topical application of aromatic oils may exert …. analgesic effects.”
Of all the things people need help with, stress is the number one concern. I don’t know if this is because drugs don’t seem to help with stress and some of the diagnoses that go with it, or if people think the oils work better.
Either way, people are incredibly stressed out and many deal with debilitating conditions that cause them to not live a normal life.
As mentioned above, because essential oils can reach the emotion center of the brain, they do help relax people. In this case, people find some relief. For some the relief is life-changing and for others, the relief helps for a little while.
Although single essential oils are good, Gary Young, founder of Young Living essential oils, found that when he blended oils together, they had an even greater effect.
So while some single oils work well for stress, the essential oil blends can sometimes work even better for some people.
There are certifications like “herbalist” and “aromatherapist” where you can figure out how to blend oils. But unless you really want to go to school and learn about how to blend essential oils and figure out which oils work best together, why not leave the blending to the experts.
I trust Young Living and its founder and I like the fact that I don’t have to be an oils expert and blend my own oils. It’s best for me to focus on people and how to help them and use the oils that are already blended and available to me.
Bergamot – This is actually a citrus oil It can be both uplifting and relaxing.
Geranium – This oil encourages peaceful and spiritual feelings.
Lavender – One of the most popular essential oils. It is calming, relaxing, grounding and is great for the skin too.
Orange – This is the number one feel-good oil! It just makes you smile and feel like you’re in a grove of orange trees basking in the sun. Many of the citrus oils help put you in a good mood – lemon, grapefruit, lime, tangerine, and Citrus Fresh (a blend of the citrus oils).
Lemon – Has a refreshing and uplifting scent. Can be very helpful in uplifting the mood and can improve mental clarity and concentration. Boosts immunity and induces relaxation.
Vetiver – This oil has an earthy and grounding aroma and helps calm and relax those that use it.
Ylang Ylang – This oil is relaxing and has a sweet floral aroma that encourages romance and balancing hormones.
Northern Lights Black Spruce – What an amazing oil this is! This tree grows in the coldest of climates in northern Canada and can also grow in steamy, humid swamps. It stands strong and tall and withstands all kinds of weather. It has the most amazing aroma that calms you almost immediately. I dare you to try this one and not feel more grounded and strong!
Best Essential Oil Blends for Stress
As stated above, essential oil blends tend to be even more effective for certain uses when they are blended together in a specific way. These are the top oil blends I know that can help lessen stress.
Stress Away – This blend is relaxing and comforting. It is the perfect combination of tropical and citrus. It also comes in the Young Living Premium Starter kit and is a great oil to have on hand for stress.
Valor – This is an essential oil lover favorite blend. It helps you feel empowered and uplifted. When you’re feeling defeated and stressed, this is the blend to grab!
Peace & Calming – This is another favorite blend among oil lovers. It smells so wonderful and calming! Many people used it during the day AND at night. It is so soothing and relaxing!
Joy – This is an amazing smelling blend that helps you have a positive mental outlook. There are so many women that apply this daily as their perfume of choice.
More Essential Oil Blends to Help Lessen Stress
Harmony – Disunity and lack of harmony can certainly cause lots of stress in life. Apply or diffuse this blend to help you feel uplifted and at peace.
Inner Child – This blend is a favorite in the Young Living Feelings Kit. It addresses issues in our past that we might not even know are bugging us. When we can bring old emotions to the surface and deal with them, it can help lower our stress levels in life.
Forgiveness – Let’s face it, we’ve all been wronged in some way in life. Although an apology from an offender is the goal, sometimes that doesn’t happen. This causes stress for us but doesn’t help the situation go away. The sooner we can let go of negative emotions against ourselves and others, the lower our stress levels will be. Use this oil daily and watch your stress level diminish as you work on personal growth.
Acceptance – Sometimes our situation in life causes stress that doesn’t seem to go away. When things don’t seem to change, we need help accepting that. Whether we’re mad at who we are or who we are stuck with, Acceptance oil, when used regularly, can help lower those emotions. Then stress can be lessened and life can improve.
Clarity – Helps clear the mind.
Brain Power – Helps you have clear thoughts and focus.
Release – Helps you let go of anger and frustration. These emotions often cause stress, so letting go of these emotions can improve your stress level.
3 drops Stress Away oil blend
2 drops Lavender oil
1 drop Lemon oil
2 drops Frankincense oil
3 drops Lavender oil
2 drops Copiaba oil
Lift Your Spirits
3 drops Orange essential oil
2 drops Lemon essential oil
4 drops Joy essential oil blend
No More Blues
3 drops Cedarwood essential oil
5 drops Orange essential oil
1 drop Ylang Ylang essential oil
3 drops Stress Away essential oil blend
2 drops Grapefruit essential oil
2 drops Peace and Calming essential oil blend
Best Recipes for Stress
Once you decide which oils you want to use, you can diffuse them, ingest them or apply them. Applying them directly to your skin is great. But if you want to use them in different ways than just applying them to your skin, here are some ideas.
Essential Oil Ointment – Mix 1-ounce pure organic coconut oil with 10 drops Young Living oil of your choice. Then you can also add 1/2 ounce or less melted beeswax pellets to make the ointment thicker.
Linen Spritzer – Combine 4 oz water and 10 drops essential oil in a spray bottle. Then refresh sheets and towels that have been in storage or use daily on any other sheets and towels.
Moisturizer Enhancer – Add a drop or two of this oil to any moisturizer or hair mask to support the skin and increase the effectiveness of these products.
Which oils should you get?
In this case, what I recommend is that you get a Young Living Premium Starter Kit. This is the best value.
Here’s what you get in the kit:
- Essential Oil diffuser
- Lemon, lavender, peppermint, frankincense, copaiba, Thieves, Citrus Fresh, Stress Away, Panaway, Raven, and Digize – These are the 11 most popular essential oils (over 900 drops)
- Samples of essential oils and empty sample bottles you can fill.
- Roller ball filament
- Free 450-page reference book for me plus more helpful reference information
- Access to our private Facebook group where I share essential oil tips daily.
- Eligible to earn free promo oils from Young Living.
- Access to Young Living’s Essential Rewards program where you can earn points for more free products.
- Ability to contact me by phone or email when you have questions.
There are no monthly order requirements. You just order oils whenever you need them. This kit will give you a good collection of oils to start with. Then the reference material will help you know HOW to use the oils that you have.
The diffuser is so necessary and helpful. This way you can run the diffuser at night for extended use. You can apply the oils too, but if you want oils all around you for a long period of time, a diffuser is the best.
Do you want to learn more about essential oils and get a free sample oil? Just contact me and ask for the webinar replay that I did. It is a comprehensive class that will teach you all you need to know about essential oils and how to use them. Once you listen to the class, you will get instructions on how to get your free sample from me.